Here’s the CORE of what we do, why we do it, and how you can participate
This is the mission of JAARS: to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
Why is that important? Because nearly 800 million people still have little-to-no Scripture in the language they understand best—their heart language.
And after 68 years, lots of people who know JAARS also know—or at least understand—that mission.
But we’re not the same old JAARS anymore. Not when technology, missiology, politics, funding, and numerous other factors have reshaped the world of missions (including Bible translation).
So in response to needs like these…
- National churches and translation organizations are stepping up to lead translation projects like never before, but they face most of the same logistical challenges without the financial resources of prior Western-led organizations;
- Field partners around the world are increasingly challenged by the need to manage mission-critical transportation operations, even with JAARS-provided training and equipment;
- Major transportation assets (like aircraft and boats) are increasingly expensive and take longer to fund even as on the ground needs emerge and change more rapidly than ever.
…we’re adapting like this:
- JAARS is stepping into international transportation operations in new and bigger ways, to serve our partners and put the Gospel within reach of the most remote people on earth.
- JAARS is increasing the flexibility of our solutions, so we’re not locked into a need that might change or locked out of an even bigger need that emerges.
- JAARS is embracing funding solutions in ways that speed solutions to the field while accepting less risk to precious resources.
Bottom line, JAARS is transforming the way we think and the way we operate – so that the 3500 translation projects underway or yet to begin in Africa, Asia and the Pacific are not hindered by lack of support in the areas God has blessed JAARS to serve.
That takes all the resources of the JAARS Center, which involves 600+ people, 552 acres, and 49 buildings—all prayerfully committed to provide the support our passionate, committed partners need. And it takes the investment of prayer, energy, and funding by numerous Gospel patronsstanding with us to achieve our mission.
Which means we need an exceptional inflow of people, prayer, and funding—now and into the future.
That’s why we have the JAARS Core Mission Fund.
It’s not “overhead.” The Core Mission Fund covers the ongoing tools and support services needed by our Bible translation partners here and around the world:
- strategic planning and program design
- research and development, project management, and training
- communications, fundraising, and housing/healthcare/hospitality support services
This is work that is core to the primary solutions we provide our partners around the world—transportation, technology, media, and training—and it’s work that enables hundreds of missionaries each year to have a sustainable impact once they get to the field.
The Core Mission Fund transfers the strength and expertise of our 68-year legacy to translation partners on the ground around the world. And they, in turn, work to realize the vision and reality of Revelation 7:
“…and I saw a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb.”
Thank you for standing with us to help bring that multitude together before the throne!
How You Can Help